The key to customer retention in the telecom industry is developing a customer satisfaction plan and following through with it. Retaining customers is not only a business necessity, but reduces the need to spend money acquiring new customers. Below are ten tactics that should be part of your strategic plan.
- Decide which customers you are going to target when, how you are going to reach them, and the amount of resources you will spend per contact.
- Develop a customer feedback system to evaluate your company’s performance so that success can be easily measured.
- Choose metrics or scales that are simple and clearly define performance. For example, a scale of 1-3 is easier for the customer and easier to measure than a scale of 1-10.
- Connect consistently with multiple contacts within a customer’s organization. All too often we rely on a single relationship. This can backfire when and if that person leaves, gets promoted or fired.
- The purpose of your outreach need only be checking in, saying hello and getting to know your customers. Learn what is important to them inside and outside of telecom. The more they know you care, the more they will care what you know.
- The company who is easiest to work with soars above all the rest. When choosing between quality service and service that is easier to buy, the customer of today will always choose the latter. Work on developing excellent process and the customer will buy and buy again.
- Often we are afraid to talk to our customers for fear of what they might say. We are afraid of what they might think. “No news is good news.” When we ask, they will focus on us. If we don’t ask, they will continue to pay and we don’t have to worry about their leaving. A hard look in the mirror is critical to a successful, growing business. Be willing to take a look.
- Reward valued customers. People like to be reminded they are important or special, especially if they belong to an exclusive membership that gives them money-saving deals. By focusing on your most valued customers, you can communicate with them more often and let them know how important they are to your company.
- Utilize social media to stay connected with your customer. LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter are excellent vehicles and are necessary to remain relevant in your customer’s mind.
- Customer retention is a marketing initiative with a different target audience. It demands focus and a key piece of your budget. The best offense is a strong defense. A successful company requires both.
If you want to learn more about CRA Telecom’s secrets to customer retention, contact us today.